Wednesday, January 7, 2009

One More Rant

I have to wonder at times, why does it seem that if you aren't a Christian you are either some blight on society that must either be shunned or converted at all costs? It isn't even a mild occurrence, it is everywhere. Summer programs and military academies also run into problems its seems with those that don't do the whole church thing. When everyone else is taken to church, what do you do with the others? Do you force them to go and sit in the corner while others worship, or do you have them do some menial chore? I hate to say it, but its been an issue for me about oh... 5 times? Its so bothersome being some sort of blight or burden. Honestly, just leave us be. Not to say ignore us completely, but there is no need to worry about the rest of us during those religious moments. It is the awkward attempts at caring for the rest of us that just, well makes things more awkward.

Still, why are we so different? We may not all have some religion we follow, but this doesn't make us some horrid member of society bent on the perversion and destruction of all moral structure. Sure some of us "heathens" are destructive to the moral fiber of society, but even the religiously devout have their crazed lunatics that do more harm than good. We all have our own moral frameworks we employ in our daily lives (except the sociopaths, those guys do what they want) and I can almost certainly guarantee that they are all generally oriented to the betterment of society! So honestly, what is so horrible about a christian and a religiously neutral person getting married? Will the person that takes no stance in religion suddenly turn away the christian from their beliefs? Will the neutral person suddenly take on a religious preference? I doubt it, and it shouldn't matter. If someone is neutral how are they bad? They take no stance!

One last little gripe to rant about. What is so evil about D&D, Magic the Gathering, or fantasy? Yes, most are about evil corrupting the world, but how many of those actually end that way? In the end doesn't good and righteousness win? I dunno what is so dangerous about something that doesn't exist? Besides, if imagination is so dangerous, and people actually start believing the games and stories well... I think they have bigger problems than D&D, Magic and fantasy stories. I suppose people may have problems with the rare few that have their lives fall apart from ignoring work and school for these fantasy worlds, but again I the fantasy worlds and such are not the issue! Its the lazy bum that didn't want to stay rooted in reality and put effort in being a real person. I just have to say, you find me a person who was actually able to summon demonic powers or some such through D&D, Magic or the like, I can find you someone who's making it all up.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Here from Coffee Bean's place. Excellent post. Deep stuff and I fully understand but have NO answers for you. I was a confirmed atheist, then agnostic for most of my life. And I know the feeling of being considered 'less'. Turned me against Christians for the most part. Then a big thing happened and here I am a Christian. And I hope from my earlier experiences, never to judge others or make them feel not a part of the special club. We are ALL apart of this whole thing called life.
I hope this isn't too long a comment.
Welcome to the blog world. I will be checking back on you.

Anonymous said...

ACK!!! Blogger ate my comment!

Christians are just people who believe in God and that Jesus is the Messiah foretold of in the Old Testament. That fact does not make them better. In fact, some of the most vile, evil people are sitting in pews every week... some even preaching from pulpits.

Neither my husband or I were raised in Christian homes. I remember well the time I went to a Christian summer camp with a friend and said something for which the entire cabin of girls jumped on me for. My friend came to my defence and said that I didn't know any better because my family didn't go to church. I was grateful for her protection of me, but the whole thing really hurt and stuck with me.

If we have ever made you feel less than, I apologize! We accept you for who you are and where you are. I mean that.

Anonymous said...

"defence" should be defense. OY!!!