Monday, January 19, 2009

Drug Induced Changes of Personality

Ok sure Ritalin can help flighty people focus, but at what cost? The woman of my life has almost always been a happy, crazy girl that always had something to say or something to do. Her room has always been crowded with her artwork and just random girly doo-dads. She was a girl that wore her heart and soul on the outside. Of course I said WAS on purpose. Recently she has been taking Ritalin in order for her to focus on her schoolwork. This is important, education is always an important thing. But sometimes I worry we make sacrifices for things and miss what it is we are losing.

For the entire year me and my other half have been together we have fought a total of three times. Now, she has become completely different. She has become withdrawn and depressed. She has become obsesive compolsive about every aspect of her room. Recently she even tore up almost every last piece of art she created. It was a terribly sad to hear her destroy hundreds of pieces of art that she had put so much of herself into making. It was like listenning to a mother destroying her own children.

Perhaps she will level out after a while or maybe it will continue to drive her crazy. Either way I know I will be there to keep pulling her back from the edge and put a smile on her face. Maybe she needs the meds maybe she doesn't, only time will tell.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know she tore up her artwork... I'll have to ask her about that.

If she takes the medication at the same time every day she will level out. The combination of the dyslexia/ADD makes it very difficult for her to comprehend what she is reading and stay on task... as well as pay attention in class. It is easier for her in the subjects in which she has an interest.

She also had her hours increased at work. The combination of starting school and knowing that she's going to be tight on time has her stressed. Next week we will be talking to a counselor about what services are available to her to make sure she has every opportunity to succeed in her classes. Once she knows what to expect and gets on a regular schedule her stress level should go down.

I understand your concerns and why you are upset.

I have got a lot of stuff to do today and am still thinking about the 5 questions I want to ask you. I'll get back to you later tonight.

Angela said...

Like Coffee mentioned, the med's will level out. My heart broke when I read you saying about how a mother destroys her child where it was concerning her art work! ((hugs)) What a blessing to have a 'strong' tower by her side. She has alot of love around her, from you and her family, that makes the biggest difference in a person's life. Keep on lovin, keep on hoping and keep on making her smile!!

Anonymous said...

I put the interview questions up on my blog, finally.